2/4/08

Top 5 Australian Slang Terms (with examples)



As we have sent one of our own out across the sea and into the outback, I felt it appropriate to help him in his journey. Print this blog entry out and it can easily serve as a free replacement to any "Rick Steves: Australia" book or any other useless piece of reading material written by some douche who went there and studied up on "the culture". I have been there once (in 9th grade) and I know everything there is to know about this prisoners island. So read up and use my advice next time you're in what we locals call "the stralia" and you'll have more ladies than you can shake a boomerang at.

Top 5 Australian Slang Terms:

5. "She'll be apples" translation: "It'll be alright"

Ex. Dear Smitney, I know I'll be gone for 5 months, but she'll be apples.

4. "Bunyip" translation: "A mythical outback creature"

Ex. "Oh my god I hope Crocodile Dundee saves me from this bunyip chasing me through the outback." *Note* To get in any Australian's good graces bring up Crocodile Dundee at least 3 times every conversation.

3. "Clacker" translation: "Anus"

Ex. "That Yahoo Serious is one funny clacker".

2. "Holy Dooley!" translation: "An exclamation of surprise"

Ex. "Holy Dooley I just saw Natalie Imbruglia!"

1. "Jackaroo" translation: "a trainee station manager"

Ex. "Did you see that Jackaroo talking to the sheila? That wozzy looked just like Russell Crowe" *Note* Jackaroo is the single most important word in Australian diction. Any Australian would be offended if you didn't use this word at least once per sentence. **Note II** I think Russel. Crowe is from New Zealand.

1 comment:

TK said...

Natalie Imbruglia finally left that clacker male anorexic from Silverchair! Holy Dooley! Go for it Pete!